Friday, March 20, 2009






I know, it's been ages hasn't it?
I just haven't had anything to say. I still don't really. Everything's just rolling along. Kids are good. The big high school boy is cruising in towards the end of first term and gradually coming to the realisation that HE is actually responsible for getting his own projects done. For example, when the teacher sets a piece of work that they can hand in at the end of term....it means that the project should in fact take ALL term to complete to the satisfaction of the teacher, not..here's a project for you to start and finish in the final week of term. Or how about this curly one? It's not FAIR, when you fall behind in the maths homework, they just KEEP GIVING YOU MORE!!! Shock horror. They don't magically make the overlooked homework disappear. Last week apparently Year 7 was EEAASSSYY. This week, mmmmm not so much. He was pretty proudly telling D that he had completed the entire Simpsons game on Nintendo DS. But I think maybe just maybe he should have been doing a bit more homework. I know that a lot of parents don't believe in homework. I am a bit of a girly swot in that regard though. I know I did many things to avoid doing homework but I worry about that feeling of falling behind. I HATE the feeling that things are building up and up. There is a lot to be said for chipping away at the big jobs so that they don't overwhelm you.
Pepper the girl. We have discovered a technique that so far is enabling her to remember her spelling words! What a revelation! Last week she got 10 out of 10 for her spelling. This week the words are much harder, all those tricky 'ie' and 'ei' words. I have my fingers crossed for her today. She had a big project last week that required a few big sessions to complete. I was so proud of her when she took it to school last week, all finished, and heaps of the other kids had to have the due date extended to allow them to finish over the weekend.
In other news, we had a lovely but chilly camping weekend down at Skenes Creek for the Labour Day weekend. There was a flurry of trips to the op shop for socks because I took this book away with us. It's available at Dymocks in Collins St Melbourne (along with lots of other fab books of course) Good fun. There are no finished sock friends at our house for me to show you.
I have been whiling away the evenings with quilt on knee. The pink and pretty quilt called 'Lorna' is coming along very nicely. The hand quilting is almost complete. I estimate one or two more nights might get it done. D has discovered the joys of playing Carcassonne online. It's very time consuming and exciting. Certainly keeps him very quiet. So, the quilting is the perfect background activity. Here are a few shots of progress.

No comments: