Thursday, October 2, 2008

OUTRAGEOUS





I've kept this under my hat for a week now, but I can't hold off any longer.
So, you know I work in a bookshop, in the kids department. I am very keen on kids books. I love reading them, to myself and my kids. I do all the voices when required (..not just for my own entertainment; to give life to the characters for the precious little listeners)
I love picture books, they are so wonderfully expressive and fantastically creative. The pictures can convey so much and capture the imagination of any reader.
Are books gender specific? I don't think so.
Let me recount this story.
I was busy putting out new October releases. Lots of beautiful shiny books.
A woman approached me and asked me what book I would recommend for her friend's 5 year old grandson. Not an unusual request. I can never answer with a rehearsed "this is a best seller" type response. I always try to eeek out a little more info to tailor my suggestion.
As I could tell she was a NewZealander, I suggested a couple of Australian picture books. I always give a bit of storyline to see if it will get their interest. One of the books I recommended was Tony Wilson's book The Thirsty Flowers, illustrated wonderfully by Julie Knoblock.
Off I went to get some more books from the back room.
When I came back onto the shop floor, the woman I had been speaking to urgently ushered me over and introduced me to her friend (the grandmother of the 5 yr old).
With a face full of concern she said "this book, are you sure it's ok for a BOY?"
"Yes, it's great, MY kids loved it."
Now.. grasping my arm.."It won't turn him into a POOF will it?" she turns to grandmother, who repeats "Yeah, will it turn him into a POOF?"
My mouth dropped open, and I looked at these two holidaying old crones and said "Well that's YOUR problem"
I was a little dumbstruck. I walked away. They didn't buy it.
A friend/regular customer has asked whether I would like to contribute (as a bookseller on the frontline) to a book blog.
If I did, that would have to be my first post.
Some people are just so ignorant.

Just one other thing.
We have some Miss Buttons patterns in the shop for sale.
To demonstrate the loveliness of Miss Buttons, I took in the doll that Pepper & I made last year.
I sat her up next to the patterns, looking all special-like, showing off her cuteness.
Someone has stolen her.
That's her in the centre of the top photo, and on the right in the bottom photo. Gone. Fucking thieving bastards, you are SO low.
That's all. Goodnight.
She answers to the name Miss Puff, just in case you see her in your travels..we miss her.

9 comments:

Jo said...

I too am indeed outraged. What is wrong with the world that someone would feel the need to take your precious Miss Buttons. Poor Pepper.

And my girls love cars and trains so they are sure to grow up to be raging lesbians !!

Kate said...

Both those things are totally outrageous!

foschini said...

Hi miss button,

I was surfing the net to see if there were any new thirsty flowers reviews, and was amused (horrified) to read your story.

i am the author of the thirsty flowers, and Julie and I are so pleased that you would recommend it. I've given to to all my nearest and dearest, so I'll let you know how many 'poofs' emerge out of that exercise.

it's sad, but your story did make me laugh.

Tony

(apologies if I have double posted. not very experienced on google blogs)

Jules Madden said...

I too got a laugh out of your post!
(Thanks to Tony for directing me here!)
I was thinking the same thing, many kids I know have been given this book, so am looking forward to seeing how many "poofs" this book produces. Just to think that people actually believe one picture book could persuade one's sexual orientation is quite amusing.

Thanks also for recommending it!

And I hope the bugger that stole your softie gets theirs back via karma... someone gave me a miss buttons pattern for a birthday and I made her up- she is very cute!

Angela said...

I'm in shock! What can I say... it surely couldn't of been those homophobic women, imagine the message they would be giving if they gave their grandson Miss Puff.

The world is just not the same anymore these days. Outrageous!

P.S. (I've had 3 display dolls go missing from stores, the first time I was told I was secretly quite chuffed. It think someone wanted to risk going to jail for my little Miss)... our secret right!

Stacey said...

They stole her?
I bet a poof did it.

aa said...

aww that's so sad... have you put up 'missing' posters around the shop? lol no but seriously. how could someone be so low 'cause your miss puff is sooo cute! i have to buy one of those patterns!

Jacinta said...

My Mum used to read us Captain Pugwash books and do all the voices and scare us half to death with booming voices after moments of whispers... it was great entertainment! Your kids are so lucky that you enjoy this so much and they will remember it for years.

As for the scoundrels who stole your Miss Buttons - well! Shame on them I say. What is WRONG with people.

Finally, I don't know the book Thirsty Flowers, but yes, people are indeed ignorant. Bugger them as well... but what a treat the the author left a comment.

Stomper Girl said...

Those women!! I have the same reaction sometimes with fathers who are convinced dancing lessons will make their male children attracted to other males when they're grown up. No-one ever thinks dancing will cause lesbianism.

And what a rotten, low-down dog it must have been to steal Miss Puff.