Friday, October 26, 2007

flashback fridays

Me, me, me..it's all about me.
I used to really like "helping" my Dad in his studio. He's a bit of a groover, no doubt about it. His studio was set up in a room of our house. He also made himself a darkroom which I loved to help in too. The red light was so magical, the mystery and wonderful chemical smell of the toner and other stuff were intoxicating. Watching the images appear on the film was mesmerising. Plus my Dad had all that wonderful stuff like glue, sticky tape, paint, photographic paper, rulers and ink. Who wouldn't love it?
I loved jazz ballet. I did a few years worth of lessons, achieving the wonderful "silver star" level medal. All I can remember now are "ball-changes" and bum walking on the floor which I guess toned our tiny toned buttocks!
I loved going horse-riding at Pine Farm. This horse was my horse (for the lessons only) and it was called Munchkin. Once I was thrown off, onto a jump when Munchkin decided to forgo the "jumping" bit of the activity. I was also very keen on the warm bacon sandwiches my Mum would bring after my lesson, wrapped in foil..salty and delicious.
I loved riding my bike. Now I'm not sure whether or not this was my bike. It looks a little big. I bet that seat was burny-hot in bathers! This bush behind me was called Pampas Grass. It was quite a striking looking garden feature but sweet jesus did it hurt if you sliced yourself on it!! Each blade was like a serrated machete.
I loved my skates as you can see. I think this is such a cool photo. Look at that waistcoat..that jumper with the ring-pull zip and the gorgeous cords. These were the kind of skates that were adjustable & screwed together in the middle over your shoes. I can almost hear the gravelly "shushing" of them rolling down the footpath.Happy days everyone. Thank god this week of retail is over for me! I was one of those surly shop assistants whom I despise. On a happier note..there are so many fantastic new books out & about in book buying land right now. Get yourself one and have a read.

6 comments:

Sherrin said...

I remember going to Pine Farm when I was a kid- I loved it. I still remember that the horse I rode was called Shadow. Happy memories :o). You look like a little groover too, not just your Dad! Love the skating outfit and the funky bike- noice rig!! :P

Anonymous said...

Wow! love all your pics. Weren't our dragstars great. I remember the hot seat too. I loved skating but never had photos taken, maybe Mum was too scared to come outside near us. Didn't you just love those adjustable skates?

Anonymous said...

oh man i love your flashbacks...you take me back to my own childhood...we also had that pampas grass - and YES it was a killer- looked great though...and i also had the same roller skates that were adjustable...god i loved those things- but I did always pine for "boot skates" which my mum refused to buy because she knew they wouldnt last long with growing feet....Thanks for the flashback...better go do mine!

Angela said...

Woo Wee! Now I know why you suggested your theme... you had alot of loves : )

Cool Dad!

Sherrin said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :o)

No- I don't remember the feezer there, just the horses :o) But I have to agree that sunnyboys were great- do they still make them??

Claire (ethel loves fred) said...

Lovely photos - any you never know when you might have to bum shuffle across a floor, so a skill well worth remembering me thinks!