Friday, February 1, 2008

What happens when your car engine catches fire.( or What I did on my holidays)





Well. We had a slight problem getting home from holidays.
After the huge struggle to re-pack the car with our filthy camping gear to come home, we experienced a bit of a problem just outside of Orbost. The car limped up the main St and ground to a halt outside the Tourist Information Centre (all control lost..brakes, steering etc).
Within moments the entire bonnet was blistered and blackening with smoke pouring out and flames licking the road beneath the engine.
The CFA were called, the police arrived, and we watched as our beloved 2002 Camry station wagon went up in flames. Luckily the flames spread no further than the engine, but as you can see, it is officially a WRITE OFF!
If any Orbostians are out there reading this, I would like to thank you all from the bottom of my heart. Everyone was so helpful. It was one of the most heartwarming experiences I have had for a while. People can be so nice!! Thank you again.
The kids & I took a $250.00 taxi ride to the in-laws place in Maffra, while D waited for his brother to arrive to help cart all our stinking camping gear back.
What a way to end the holiday. Thank God it happened where it did and not another 20km down the road. We would have lost control at 100km/hr with no phone reception, no fire extinguisher, probably crashed into a tree or started a bushfire.
So that's something to be bloody thankful for.

On another note, I have just been to visit my new favourite baby, THE SPLENDIDLY ENORMOUS AND DIVINE JORDI. Congrats to my beautiful friends on their spectacular creation.
I want to keep him. My babies are too big & full of attitude now, maybe I could trade them in??!!

7 comments:

Kate said...

Oh that is awful! I'm glad you were all ok though.

Stacey said...

Wow!
That's probably the biggest thing to happen in Orbost for years. They'll still be talking about the great car fire of 08 in decades.

Anonymous said...

Hey welcome home...thats INTENSE!!!
I was going to ask you if you would like to do a swappsy! I sell my cards to Mini Meek and was delivering the other day and saw your utterly beautiful pufferlys(??!?) and they are so gorgeous. Thought you might like to trade me for some of my cards.Let me know if you are interested..... cause i love to swap my things for others!!!

Unknown said...

oh my goodness what a way to end a holiday. the kids won't forget that one! in fact it is going to rather hard for you to top that next holiday. I am glad you are all ok, as it must have been quite frightening. Do they know why it happened?

Miss Cinti - my poppet said...

OMG! I bet you didn't know wether to laugh or cry. I'm glad everyone is ok.
FYI I laughed till i nearly cried (is that bad?)

Cherryskin said...

Holy moley!
We're going camping up thatta ways (up past Marlo) on Friday! Eeek!
I'll look for the scorch marks on the road.
How scary for you!! I guess it'll be a holiday to remember.....glad everyone was okay.

Anonymous said...

Man, I know Im late but this happened to me on friday!! but my boot is under the wagon part of the station wagon and I had no idea it was on fire.

I was in parkville though. Not as exciting as orbost!